This licence allows the sale and supply of alcohol for drinking at the specified licensed premises, such as cafes, taverns and hotels. The area specified as licensed is defined on plans provided and may include outside areas.

Apply for an on-licence

Download and complete an on-licence application form [PDF, 998KB](external link).

All alcohol licence applications require a Certificate of Compliance(external link) for the premises. You must include this with your application.

View our handy (external link)step-by-step guide(external link) to getting an alcohol licence and check for any practice notes(external link) that apply to your application to make sure you've got everything covered.

Please read the checklist on the form to make sure you include all the extra documents we need with your application. Incomplete applications will be returned.

View the working days(external link) specified in the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act that could affect application processing times. If your application is complete, there are no objections and all building requirements are met, on-licences can normally be processed within four to six weeks.

This application needs a lodgement meeting and cannot be submitted online.

On-licences are issued for one year probation year and then renewed for three years.

Bring your own (BYO)

This is an endorsed on-licence specific to restaurants which allow customers to bring their own alcohol and drink it at the premises while dining. Read our host responsibility and our BYO information sheet(external link) for guidance on how to manage BYO in your restaurant.

Payment of fees

View alcohol licensing fees. The fees for processing your application are non-refundable and must be paid when you apply for your licence. Most alcohol licensing fees are set by regulations. Any fees set by Council are subject to annual review with any changes taking effect on 1 July each year.

You will need to have an invoice from us before you can make your payment. This will be provided to you when you file your application documents. We can only process your applications once we have both the proof of payment of fees and the required application form and documents.

Payments can be made by cash or EFTPOS/credit card at a service desk or by internet banking. Internet banking payment account and reference details can be found on your invoice. For internet banking, you will need to provide proof of payment that includes confirmation of the payment details (e.g. a screenshot of the completed transaction). 

Please note that we can no longer accept payments by cheque.

Lodgement meeting

New licence applications are received through a lodgement meeting. You will need to make an appointment with an inspector to lodge your new licence application.

Noise management

All On licences are required to comply with the requirements of the noise provisions under the Resource Management Act. 

Noise from premises must be below the level prescribed in the District Plan and any resource consent conditions relating to noise for that site and use. These often relate to keeping windows and doors closed and limits on the use of outside speakers or amplified entertainment.

You may need to speak with an acoustic consultant who can recommend options to meet compliance requirements.

Once operating, any noise complaints may result in a noise control officer attending and issuing an excessive noise direction (END notice) for the noise to be reduced immediately. Non-compliance with an Excessive Noise Direction may result in an infringement notice.

More information about noise control(external link)

Further information

You can complete and submit your Notice of Duty Manager appointment or change online. 

These documents and links give more information about applying for and holding an on-licence: