Resource consents

The Christchurch City Council is responsible for processing resource consent applications (land use and subdivision consents) within Christchurch and Banks Peninsula.

A resource consent is a formal approval under the Resource Management Act 1991 that is required when a proposed building or activity does not comply with all of the relevant rules in the Christchurch District Plan(external link).

A resource consent is separate to a building consent, which confirms that building work complies with the Building Act 2004 and the building code. You may need one or both types of consent for your proposal. 

Resource consent applications can be complex. We recommend that you engage an experienced professional to help prepare your application to ensure that it meets all the requirements of the District Plan and Resource Management Act.

Subscribe to the Resource Consents newsletter