Residential and commercial water supply connections.

Apply for a new water connection

A standalone application can also be made at any Council Customer Service Hub.

Before you apply, please check your building consent application and associated fees to confirm if your water connection has been already been applied and paid for.

Duplicate applications that require a refund will incur an administration processing fee.

Residential applications

Once a water connection application has been processed and payment received, the job will be provided to the contractor and will usually be installed within 10 working days.

Applications for new residential water connections can be processed as part of a Building Consent application.

The Council's connection (or meter) box is usually located in the footpath just outside the front boundary. In some instances, they are installed in 'right of ways' and occasionally on private property. 

Commercial applications

Commercial water connections and fire service connections require some planning before the application can be processed. Complete your application for water connection online or using a WS1 (application for water supply) and include a water supply site plan.

Commercial water connections require adequate backflow protection to protect the public water supply from contamination. High Hazard backflow protection devices are preferred to mitigate the risk to the Councils water supply network, it also future proofs the buildings boundary device so it would not need to be upgraded if there was a change of risk onsite. 

Please include the following when making an application:

  • WS1 with all areas filled out.
  • Plan showing the position of backflow device (location, type of device and level of protection.
  • Proposed location of the water meter.
  • Any building consent number (BCN), Resource consent number (RMA) and if the property is intended to be sub-divided.

The Council will do an estimate of the cost for connecting to the city supply. Once the estimated fee is paid, work can start on your connection.

The time frame for installation is particular to each connection and is subject to factors like the location of the water main, traffic management and the size of connection.

Temporary water supply application

If you are needing water supply for an event or for a temporary length of time the Christchurch City Council can provide a temporary water supply. This can be achieved by either a hydrant standpipe, a 15mm water connection or a 50mm water connection, all with inbuilt backflows and water meters.

All temporary water supplies either need to be installed and removed by a Council authorised water installer or operated by one. To obtain a temporary water connection you will need to fill out a WS3 (application for a temporary water supply), include a site plan and details of the contractor conducting the works.

Application for a temporary water connection (WS3) [PDF, 942 KB]