You will need to know if your land once used for an orchard, a landfill, storing fuel or any other activity involving hazardous substances especially if you're repairing or rebuilding.

Environment Canterbury(external link) (ECan) is currently notifying affected landowners of previously occurring/historical hazardous activities or industries. Soil contamination can occur on properties where hazardous substances or chemicals are stored, used or disposed of.

If your land could be contaminated, then you may need a resource consent before you can get started on your property’s land repair works. Contact the Council’s Land Repair Team at for more information.

Find out more