Explore Central City living. The vibrant heart of 21st Century Christchurch is a dynamic place to live, work and play.
Fresh ideas and big thinking are defining the Central City as an urban centre of creativity, innovation and bold, ambitious development. It's a fantastic place to call home.
With an investment of $40 billion and an ambitious vision to attract thousands of new residents over ten years, we're shaping inspiring neighbourhoods and thriving communities for individuals, families, our mature population and future generations.
Find out what's happening in Project 8011 –our residential programme to encourage more people to come and live in the Central City as it progresses.
Browse some of the latest Central City residential developments recently completed or getting underway, to get an idea of the homes on offer.
Keep an eye on these pages as we'll be adding updates and Central City residential case studies soon.
Why build your future in the Central City?
- It's compact and convenient: There's an unfolding landscape of new and exciting attractions, a range of quality services, extensive retail options, green spaces and the important everyday things, like schools and supermarkets, right here on your doorstep.
- There's a great buzz: As well as a lively hospitality scene of trendy cafes, tasty eateries and top-shelf restaurants, there's a well-established cultural and arts scene of libraries, theatres, art galleries, movie theatres and exciting new developments like the Riverside Market, Te Pae Christchurch Convention Centre and Taiwhanga Rehia Metro Sports Facility. There's plenty of street appeal, beautifully-landscaped laneways and squares, easy access to the meandering river promenade, and amazing spaces for children to explore, learn and grow.
- It's easy to get around: The Central City embraces innovation and transport choice. There's an extensive cycleway and pedestrian network, a new bus interchange and efficient bus system, plenty of car parking in purpose-built parking facilities and accessible on-street parking.
- A range of residential options: There's a range of size and types of homes, including 3+ bedroom family homes. More living opportunities, neighbourhoods and communities are being planned and developed at a range of price points and living styles. Browse some of the latest Central City residential developments below.
- More people in the central city: The estimated number of people living in the Central City is 7170 (StatsNZ, 2020) and we're aiming to boost this population over the next ten years. Project 8011 is our residential programme to encourage more people to come and live in the Central City.
Our residential programme encouraging more people to live in the Central City.