Christchurch’s vibrant central city is a dynamic place to live, work and play.
Christchurch's central city is a fantastic place to call home. With modern fresh ideas and big thinking, the Central City is an urban centre of creativity, innovation and bold, ambitious development.
Browse some of the latest Central City residential developments(external link) recently completed or getting underway, to get an idea of the homes on offer.
Why build your future in the Central City?
- It's compact and convenient: There's an unfolding landscape of new and exciting attractions, a range of quality services, extensive retail options, green spaces and the important everyday things, like schools and supermarkets, right here on your doorstep.
- There's a great buzz: As well as a lively hospitality scene of trendy cafes, tasty eateries and top-shelf restaurants, there's a well-established cultural and arts scene of libraries, theatres, art galleries, movie theatres and exciting new developments like the Riverside Market, Te Pae Christchurch Convention Centre and Parakiore Recreation and Sport Centre. There's plenty of street appeal, beautifully-landscaped laneways and squares, easy access to the meandering river promenade, and amazing spaces for children to explore, learn and grow.
- It's easy to get around: The Central City embraces innovation and transport choice. There's an extensive cycleway(external link) and pedestrian network, a new bus interchange(external link) and efficient bus system, plenty of car parking(external link) in purpose-built parking facilities and accessible on-street parking.
- A range of residential options: There's a range of sizes and types of homes, including 3+ bedroom family homes. More living opportunities, neighbourhoods and communities are being planned and developed at a range of price points and living styles. Browse some of the latest Central City residential developments here(external link).
- More people in the central city: The estimated number of people living in the Central City is 7170 (StatsNZ, 2020) and we're aiming to boost this population over the next ten years. Project 8011(external link) is our residential programme to encourage more people to come and live in the Central City.
Our residential programme encouraging more people to live in the Central City.