Canterbury Provincial Council Chambers suffered significant damage in the Sept 2010 earthquakes and aftershocks. The buildings are currently closed to the public.
Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings (1858 to 1865) were designed by Benjamin Mountfort, Canterbury's leading Gothic Revival architect.
Although the style of the buildings looks back to Europe, they also declare their pride of place with the use of local stone and timbers.
They sit beside the meandering Avon River, telling the story of Christchurch's early European settlement.
Read more about the history of these buildings in the Heritage section of our website.Loading content...