Home occupations are permitted in all residential zones other than Residential Central City if the following standards are met:
- The gross floor areas of the building and any outdoor storage area used for the home occupation must be less than 40m².
- A maximum of two full-time equivalent people who don't live on the site can be also employed in the home occupation.
- The only retailing permitted is the sale of goods grown or produced on the site, or internet-based sales where no customer visits occur.
- The site can only be open to visitors, clients, and deliveries between the hours of:
- 7.00am to 9.00pm Monday to Friday; and
- 8.00am to 7.00pm Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.
- Visitor or staff parking areas must not be located in the road boundary setback (the area between the front of the building and the road).
- Signs must have a maximum area of 2m², except that on sites with frontage to Memorial Avenue or Fendalton Road no signage is permitted at all.
If any of the above standards cannot be met, a resource consent is required for the home occupation.
The application must address the effects resulting from the scale of the activity, traffic generation, access safety and/or hours of operation, depending on which particular standards are not met.