A home occupation is any occupation, including a profession, undertaken within a residential unit by a person who lives permanently within that residential unit. Home occupations are intended to be secondary in scale to the residential use of the site.
Home occupations are permitted in all residential zones other than Residential Central City provided that the following standards are met:
- The gross floor area of the building, plus the area used for the outdoor storage area, occupied by the home occupation must be less than 40m².
- A maximum of two full-time equivalent people who don't live on the site can be also employed in the home occupation.
- The only retailing permitted is the sale of goods grown or produced on the site, or internet-based sales where no customer visits occur.
- The site can only be open to visitors, clients, and deliveries between the hours of:
- 7.00am to 9.00pm Monday to Friday; and
- 8.00am to 7.00pm Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.
- Visitor or staff parking areas must not be in the road boundary setback (the area between the front of the building and the road).
- Signs must have a maximum area of 2m², except that on sites with frontage to Memorial Avenue or Fendalton Road no signage is permitted at all.
If any of the above standards cannot be met, a resource consent is required for the home occupation.
The application must address the effects resulting from scale of the activity, traffic generation, access safety and hours of operation, depending on which particular standards are not met.