To make amendments to your building design before building consent has been granted, submit revised versions of the affected documents, clearly indicating the intended changes.

You will be charged additional costs for processing the amended documents.

Minor changes (variation)

If the change is not significantly different from the approved building consent plans and specifications, you can request approval for a minor variation. These are usually able to be carried out on-site. Some examples of minor variation include:

  • substituting similar products (e.g. one internal lining for a similar internal lining minor wall bracing changes)
  • minor construction change (e.g. changing the framing method used around a window)
  • changing a room's layout (e.g. repositioning fixtures in a bathroom).

Building inspectors may approve minor variations that arise in the course of building work. These are changes that do not affect compliance with the building code. Minor variations are recorded on an inspection report or file note. Please talk to your building inspector in the first instance about any variation to see if these can be done on-site, as there may be delays for major amendments going back into the main processing stream.

You can find more information about the minor variations you can make on building work at the Ministry of Building, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website.

Major changes (amendment)

If the change is significantly different to your approved plans, these must be formally authorised as amendments to the building consent. To request an amendment, submit an application for a building consent (Form B-002) [Doc 713KB or PDF 705KB].

Some examples of amendments include, but are not limited to:

  • any alteration that increases or decreases the floor area of the building
  • relocating or removing internal load-bearing supports
  • substantive changes to ground level, resulting in changes to foundations or retaining structures
  • changes to fire safety aspects.

We recommend that you submit your amended application online, to avoid delays and scanning fees. Alternatively, you can also submit your application at the Civic Building, 53 Hereford St, Christchurch.

An application for amendment is processed in the same way as an original consent application. The Council is required to process the amended application within 20 working days, and charges for processing at the same hourly rates. Unless the changes are extensive, however, amended consents can usually be processed quickly.

Fees for amendments

A lodgement fee is charged for an application for amendment of a building consent. Refer to the Building Consents Fee Schedule. You may also incur charges based on the additional time required to review and process the amended consent, or for additional inspections.