We are constructing transport projects in St Albans, Edgeware and Mairehau aimed at managing the expected traffic when the Christchurch Northern Corridor opens and improving connections for pedestrians and cyclists in the area.
Sign up for updates on traffic mitigation projects
The Christchurch Northern Corridor (CNC) is due to open in December 2020 and will help people travel to and from the north of Christchurch by extending the Northern Motorway from QEII Drive and Cranford Street, through to Innes Road.
Further information about this project is available on the NZ Transport Agency website(external link).
Construction is nearing completion
Work is currently focused on the following areas:
- Cranford Street and Sherborne Street, including the Cranford/Westminster intersection, the Cranford/Berwick intersection and installing new water mains between Berwick Street and Bealey Avenue. We are also doing significant work at the intersection of Sherborne Street and Bealey Avenue.
- The intersection of Warrington Street and Barbadoes Street.
- The intersection of Berwick Street and Forfar Street.
- The intersection of Barbadoes Street and Edgeware Road.
When travelling through the area we recommend sticking to the main roads such as Madras Street, Barbadoes Street and Hills Road where possible. We will be keeping traffic moving on these roads.
Thanks for your patience while we do this disruptive work. If you have any queries about the work please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What have we been working on?
- 70% of pavement works are complete at the Forfar/Warrington intersection.
- Paving work is complete on the west side of Cranford Street - just the final layer to go.
- A new temporary roundabout is in place at the Edgeware/Barbadoes intersection until traffic lights are installed.
- Ongoing footpath works throughout the area.
- Oxley Avenue is now open at Cranford Street.
- Resurfacing on the east side of Cranford Street south of Westminster Street and on the west side of Sherborne Street.
- Sherborne Street is open to two-way traffic from Bealey Avenue.
What's coming up?
- Permanent closure of Forfar Street at Warrington Street on Wednesday – pouring kerb on the north side.
- Closing Westminster/Forfar intersection for three weeks to install a raised hump, landscaping, footpath renewal, pavers, road reconstruction – detour via Mayfield and Mersey.
- Starting the installation of the traffic signals at Barbadoes/Edgeware intersection.
- Paving of Malvern and Dee streets.
- Construction of parking bays on the corner of Westminster/Hills outside the church.
- Installation of speed humps on Canon Street east and west of Madras Street.
- Resurfacing of Edgeware/Sherborne intersection from Sunday 4 October – 4 way stop/go.
- Final asphalt layer on Cranford Street between Dee Street and Innes Road.