Details on the Hereford Street upgrade consultation (Oxford Terrace to Manchester Street) and Strand Lane land sale.
We’re aiming to repair this street, make it more attractive and improve safety for everyone. We’re also proposing to widen Strand Lane which requires the sale of some land.
As part of the proposed upgrade, the Council plans to:
- Replace the street’s badly damaged footpaths with new, paved footpaths. On the south side of Hereford Street it is proposed to have a five-metre wide length of footpath so there is space for outdoor dining as well as pedestrians. On the north side the footpath generally will be three-metres wide, but widened where existing outdoor dining is present.
- Maintain a ‘local distributor’ street for general traffic – and to access new parking buildings along it.
- Improve the streetscape by adding street trees in raised planter boxes with in-built seating.
- Provide spaces at nights for taxis and Ubers on Hereford Street near the Oxford Terrace intersection.
- Add painted on-street cycle lanes so it is safer for cyclists travelling along the street.
- Provide three mobility parks on Hereford Street.
- Locate two bus stops in the block between Colombo Street and Manchester Street.
To view the Hereford Street scheme design visit our Have Your Say page(external link).
Check out our fly through(external link) to see the changes proposed for Hereford Street.
Strand Lane land sale
The Council is also proposing to sell the balance of the land at 13 Cathedral Square to the owners of 111 Hereford Street so the land can be developed for commercial use and Strand Lane widened.