School patrols are teams of school children trained by the Police to help other students cross the road safely before and after school.

School patrol signs and/or kea crossing flags are put in place in the mornings and afternoons when children are travelling to and from school.

After the school patrol is finished, removable signage is withdrawn so that there is maximum visual impact at the times when school children are crossing the roads.

What is the difference between school patrols and kea crossings?

The major difference is that school patrols have zebra crossings whereas kea crossings do not.

A school patrol operates where there is a zebra crossing with swing-out signs and is usually at a crossing point popular with all pedestrians. It is a pedestrian crossing at all times.

Kea crossings use removable orange flags to alert vehicles and are used in areas where crossing activity usually occurs only before and after school. Outside these times it is not a designated crossing.

How do I request a school patrol?

Contact the Council if you would like to establish or maintain an existing school patrol. If the patrol is on a State Highway, contact the NZ Transport Agency(external link).

A survey is completed to investigate the suitability of establishing a school patrol. For example, school patrols are not installed on roads with a speed limit above 50km/h.

Operation of crossing

The Council and NZ Transport Agency(external link) help establish and maintain school crossing facilities.

The school supervises the crossing every day before and after school and the Police assist in training the children to operate it. Find out more about how school patrols work on a daily basis(external link).