This page looks at the important council events that took place between 1851 and 1860.
The Land Office, the first public building erected in Christchurch, opens. It was located on the corner of Oxford Terrace and Worcester Boulevard.
|1851||June||New Zealand Constitution Act provides for provincial self government and as a result, the Canterbury Association resolved to cease as from 30 September.|
|1851||20 July||James Edward Fitzgerald(external link) is elected first Superintendent of the Province of Canterbury.|
|1851||27 September||The first meeting of the Canterbury Provincial Government took place. Between 1853 and 1876 New Zealand was ruled by a method of government which included elements of a federal system.|
|1853||John Hall is elected to the Canterbury Provincial Council and soon becomes Magistrate.|
|1854||The population of Christchurch is approximately 924 .|
An area of 500 acres was set aside for Hagley Park(external link) and the first trees were planted in 1863. The inner city was defined by four avenues with deciduous trees – oak, lime and chestnut. The new Provincial Government took over the role of the Canterbury Association, a law was passed which stated '…the land commonly known as Hagley Park, shall be reserved forever as a public park, and shall be open for the recreation and enjoyment of the public'. Hagley Park was included in the original plans in 1850 by Edward Jollie. These plans are commonly referred to as The Black Maps.
|1856||31 July||Christchurch became New Zealand's first City under the terms of a royal charter. This was because it was the 'seat' for a bishop. The Reverend Henry John Chitty Harper was made a bishop by the Archbishop of Canterbury. For more information visit the Christchurch City Libraries webpage|
|1857||19 June||Complaints reported that the Avon and Heathcote Rivers are becoming clogged with watercress. Canterbury Provincial Government approves £1500 for clearance.|
Lyttelton Railway Tunnel advocate William Sefton Moorhouse(external link) is elected as the Province’s second Superintendent and later served a second term from 1866 to 1868.
Public Library begins as the Mechanics Institute(external link) in Town Hall.
|1859||December||Canterbury Provincial Government passes Canterbury Municipal Ordinance, permitting the formation of local government. This ordinance did not receive the assent of the Governor. A revised ordinance succeeded in March 1861.|
First town clock and tower arrives – in 147 packages. The clock and iron tower, commissioned by the Canterbury Provincial Government, was not erected as originally planned. Presented to the City in 1876, it was eventually placed at the corner of High and Manchester Streets in 1897 for Queen Victoria’s jubilee. However in 1930, the Jubliee Clock and Victoria Clock Tower were moved to its present site in Victoria Street.