As we rebuild our city, we need to retain and build upon our garden city heritage in new and innovative ways.

As development intensifies in the future it will be important to ensure a network of green spaces in the city which will benefit residents and visitors alike. The community has shown increased interest in community gardens and orchards. Garden cities are more sustainable and liveable cities. Research has shown the public health benefits of people living and working in areas which are full of plants and green spaces.

What this means for our district

  • Residents are proud of the city and celebrate its identity.
  • Public places and buildings incorporate green spaces and vegetation.
  • Area of green coverage/biomass within the urban boundary.

How we are contributing

We are proud of the role that maintaining our beautiful parks and gardens plays in the city's identity. The Botanic Gardens and Hagley Park are at the heart of the city. We support a number of tree planting days, and encourage residents to keep the city tidy.

How you can help

Get involved with community gardens. Take the family to tree planting days in your neighbourhood, on the Port Hills and Banks Peninsula. Take pride in your own garden and keep it tidy to help keep your neighbourhood looking its best. Volunteer for efforts such as the annual Mother of All Clean Ups(external link), to help clean up local rivers and estuaries.

How we are doing 

Status What do we want to achieve? What has happened?
Positive result
PositiveResult

Sense of pride in Christchurch

Residents' sense of pride in the city has improved from a post-earthquake low of 33 per cent in 2012 to 46 per cent in 2016. Further information.

Positive result
PositiveResult

Christchurch as a place to live, work, play and visit

Since the earthquakes, an increasing proportion of residents agree that Christchurch is a great place to live. In 2016, almost three quarters agreed it is a great place. Further information.

Snapshot

SnapshotOnly

Importance of the garden city image

In 2016, over 80 per cent of respondents felt that the garden city image is somewhat or extremely important to the city's identity. Further information.

Sense of pride in Christchurch

Prior to the earthquakes, the Quality of Life survey found respondents' sense of pride in the look and feel of the city had decreased from 84 per cent to 68 per cent between 2002 and 2010.

Unsurprisingly, the earthquakes had a significant impact on people's sense of pride, with only 33 per cent feeling a sense of pride in the city in 2012. This proportion has since increased to 46 per cent, and the proportion who disagreed or strongly disagreed has declined from 44 to 26 per cent. 

Christchurch as a place to live, work, play and visit

Satisfaction with Christchurch as a great place to live has only been asked in the Quality of Life survey since 2012, so it only captures a post-earthquake view. 

In 2012, when the city was still experiencing aftershocks from the earthquakes and the city was significantly damaged, 64 per cent of people agreed or strongly agreed that Christchurch was a great place to live. Since then, this proportion has increased steadily to 74 per cent.

Importance of the garden city image

Christchurch is known as New Zealand's garden city. In 2016, respondents in the Life in Christchurch survey were asked how important the garden city image was for the city's identity. 46 per cent thought the garden city image was extremely important and an additional 36 per cent thought it was somewhat important, totalling 82 per cent of respondents who thought it was an important image for Christchurch's identity.