1. Bus improvements - helping the buses run on time
- A full time bus lane running north from Harewood Road to Grassmere Street.
- At the Main North Road/Sawyers Arms Road intersection bus improvements will get buses through the intersection from the kerbside lane to access the bus lane north of the intersection.
- Extension to the operating times of the part-time bus lane to the city between Mary Street and Horner Street so it operates in the afternoon as well. The new times will be 7am – 9am and 2pm – 6pm.
- The full time bus lane running to the city from Halliwell Avenue to Mary Street will remain.
2. Bus stop improvements
- On the north side a new larger bus shelter will be located outside the Mobil service station.
- On the city bound side, a new double length bus stop will replace the single stop near Age Concern, heading towards the city.
3. Walking and biking improvements
- A new signal-controlled pedestrian crossing will be added on Main North Road on the Westpac side of the intersection with Langdons Road and Mary Street.
- The crossing distance at Winston Avenue will be reduced for people walking.
- The bus lanes are for cyclists to use as well as the buses.
Six new street trees will be planted outside Northlands Shopping Centre and some landscaping improvements are to be installed at the Mary Street corner. There will also be a new tree, cycle parking and seating on Winston Avenue at the intersection of Main North Road.
4. Changes to car parks
To be able to fit the bus lanes and bus stops in, a reduction in car parking is needed. There is available parking behind the businesses on Main North Road for customers to use, and we will be improving signage to direct drivers to this off-street parking.
- Nine car park spaces will be removed to allow for the bus lane running north between Harewood Road and Winston Avenue. There will be new short term parking (P5) installed on Winston Avenue
- Seven car parks will be removed to allow for the extended bus lane and bus stops between Winston Avenue and Langdons Road.
Heading towards the city
Six car park spaces will be removed between Loftus Street and Horner Street to allow for the extended bus stop
5. Improving traffic flow and safety
To help improve general traffic flow and safety on Main North Road we are proposing the following changes:
- To help traffic exiting Langdons Road, a new left turn lane is proposed from Langdons Road onto Main North Road.