To save your submission part-way through, click the Save / Resume button and enter your email address. We will send you an email with instructions to resume your submission later.
Please note that attachments are not saved.
An automated email will be sent containing a link to your submission and a security passcode. Open the link and enter your email address and passcode.
You cannot resume your submission after the closing date.
If you didn't receive an email please check your spam folder before contacting an Engagement Advisor.
Summit Road is a popular recreational area with ecological significance. It is vulnerable to fires as seen recently, and historically with the burning of the Sign of the Bellbird in 2015. It is in the interests of the city to protect this asset.
On Thursday 22 March, Council decided not go ahead with the proposal to restrict access to Summit Road.
That the Council:
1. Does not approve the installation of a Prohibited Times on Road Restriction on Summit Road (Rapaki Road - Gebbies Pass Road) and Worsleys Road (Summit Road - start of the Track).
2. Requests that the Port Hills Management Plan be advanced as soon as possible recognising that the outcomes and objectives of that Plan may assist in achieving positive outcomes for the Summit Road and other affected roads in the area covered by that Plan.
3. Requests that a joint briefing on these matters be provided as soon as possible to the affected Community Boards.
4. Request a report to enable consideration of lowering of the speed limit on the Summit Road within four months.
5. Request a report to enable consideration of mechanisms that could potentially identify users of the Summit Road for crime prevention purposes within four months.
6. Notes that the Police are agreeable to assisting with measures to curb anti-social behaviour on the Summit Road.
A Hearing was held on Thursday 15 February. The Hearing Panel have read all of the submissions and have heard deputations from two residents and two interest groups. Following this, they resolved that:
The Hearings Panel recommends that the Council:
Submitters will be informed of the details of the Council decision making meeting once the date has been confirmed.
After considering the written submissions received, staff intend to recommend that Council not proceed with the proposal to restrict night time access of vehicles on Summit Road (Rapaki Road - Gebbies Pass Road) and Worsleys Road (Summit Road - start of the Track).
During the consultation period we received 865 submissions – 221