Investigations have shown that ultraviolet light disinfection (UV) is feasible and we are assessing the costs and benefits of using UV at a number of pump stations.
An ultraviolet treatment plant at the district’s largest pump station, Main Pumps, in Beckenham, is scheduled for completion in August 2019.
Treatment options that were considered:
- Coagulation sedimentation and filtration – this is difficult with high-quality source water.
- Membrane filtration – expensive to install.
- Chlorine dioxide disinfection – offers little advantage over chlorine and is expensive.
- Ozone disinfection – not suitable given high bromide levels in source water and is expensive.
- Ultraviolet light disinfection (UV) – effective against bacteria and protozoa, does not result in taste or odour in the water.
Sign up to receive water supply updates(external link)