There is a range of emergency housing and support services in Christchurch.

Emergency housing and support services

There is no emergency housing available through social housing with the Christchurch City Council.

Ministry of Social Development

If you need emergency housing, contact the Ministry of Social Development on 0800 559 009.

They can help you to access emergency housing in Christchurch. They may also be able to help you with an application for a longer term home either with Housing New Zealand Corporation or a Community Housing Provider. They run a housing register that multiple housing providers can access.

No fixed abode

This is a free No Fixed Abode and support services [PDF 341KB] directory of Christchurch accommodation and services for people without a safe, secure home. 

This directory is available from all Christchurch City Council service centres, and as reference only at all Christchurch City Council community libraries.

If you have any additions or changes to the directory, please contact us or email

Temporary accommodation

Temporary accommodation villages have been set up to help meet the demand for short term rental housing after the earthquakes. See who you can talk to about accommodation while your home is being repaired or rebuilt.