The Council will not investigate complaints unless they are associated with specific premises.

Report a problem with pests, odour or insects

Alternatively, call 03 941 8999 (or 0800 800 169 for Banks Peninsula residents) for all incidents within Council-maintained areas.

Bees or wasps

For bee or wasp nests on private property or Council-leased property, contact either:

  • Christchurch Hobbyist Beekeepers' Club for advice and assistance. They may be able to help with nests and swarms.
    Contact Paul O'Donnell, President of the Beekeepers' Club on (03) 313 9521 or 021 937 246
  • a Pest Control Company. Refer to Pest Control in the Christchurch Yellow Pages.

Rats or mice

Rats or mice on private residential properties

It is the responsibility of the owner/occupier to control and prevent vermin breeding.

Try and identify the source of the problem. Bait and/or traps can be obtained from hardware stores or pest control firms, alternatively a pest control firm can be employed to eradicate the problem. The Council does not lay poison on private properties. 

If you have a complaint about rats coming from or breeding in a specific source (e.g. a poultry house, shed / garage with rubbish, food premises) contact the Council Action Line and an Environmental Health Officer will investigate.

Rat problems in the business or central city area

Identify the specific area of the problem (e.g. food premise) and contact the Council on 03 941 8999 (or 0800 800 169 for Banks Peninsula residents and an Environmental Health Officer will investigate.