The Council investigates complaints relating to dog nuisance within the Christchurch City Council area.

Report a problem with a dog

If you are reporting a dog attack or an aggressive/rushing dog call us on 03 941 8999 (24/7) for immediate assistance.

Poultry causing a nuisance

If you have a complaint about a rooster crowing or chickens please contact us on 03 941 8999 so an Environmental Health Officer can investigate and discuss options available to you.

The Council does not have bylaws in place for the keeping of poultry, however it is expected that they should not cause a nuisance by way of smell, flies, noise or trespassing onto surrounding properties.

Roosters are not suitable for keeping in residential areas and are best confined to rural areas, as their crowing is nearly impossible to control. 

Dogs found dead on Council-owned roads

Contact us on 03 941 8999 and we will arrange for collection, usually within two hours. 

When you call it's helpful if you can provide any of the below information:

  • location of the dog
  • breed, sex and colour of the dog
  • the registration number and tag colour

Do not dispose of the dog in a wheelie bin.

If you find a dog with a Council dog registration disc/tag, call us on 03 941 8999 and we will make contact with the owner. It is recommended you don't try to contact the owner yourself even if you have the owner's details.

Dogs found dead on transit roads or state highways

Dogs found dead on transit roads or state highways are to be reported to the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) by phoning 0800 444 449.

On private property

Dead animals on private property are the responsibility of the landowner. The Council will not collect the dead animal or dog from a private property.

If the dead animal is a dog and can be identified through its tag then contact us, we will try to contact the owner of the dog and attempt to have it collected.