Akaroa Dissenters Cemetery is located immediately below the Akaroa Catholic Cemetery. It was opened in 1873.
The cemetery is now full except for burials in pre purchased plots and second interments.
It is separated from the adjacent Akaroa Catholic Cemetery by a row of trees and a post and wire fence. Both cemeteries are adjacent to the Garden of Tāne. Dense native plantings and exotic trees surround the two cemetery sites. A network of walking tracks connects the cemeteries to the Garden of Tāne.
The cemetery has associations with the early history of the local community.
The grave plots in this cemetery appear to be older and more decorative than the adjacent Akaroa Catholic Cemetery. Laid in an east west orientation across the steep slope, these graves are randomly clustered in blocks separated by mown grass strips.