How long will the repairs take?
The first phase of work is being carried out in stages across both centres. It is expected that the first phase will be complete by December 2019. The next phase is scheduled to begin after July 2020.
Both Jellie Park and Pioneer Recreation and Sport Centres will remain open throughout, although some areas will be closed in stages to keep disruption to a minimum.
After the 2010/2011 earthquakes the Council carried out engineering assessments that showed both centres had suffered minor damage but were considered safe and could remain open for public use.
Due to the need for Recreation and Sport Centres to support the community following the earthquakes, both centres have remained open with occasional shutdowns for building maintenance. The Council is now in a position to carry out the remaining earthquake repairs.
What is being repaired and upgraded?
Works for both facilities include:
- Earthquake repairs – fixing cracks and damage, painting, and repairs to flooring, walls and ceiling
- Both facilities are being strengthened
- Upgraded fire systems
- Replacement of the wet area flooring with a non-slip, hardwearing material
- Repair of pools (painting, crack repair, tiling, lighting, structural strengthening)
- Replacement indoor hydroslide at Jellie Park
- Repair of the wave chamber at Pioneer
- Repair and replacement of water toys at the Pioneer leisure pool
- Improved air conditioning in pool areas
- Improved water quality turnover rates, and a review of current filtration systems
- Refurbished changing rooms (replaced tiles, paint, new toilet units, showers etc. and improved accessibility)
- Improvements to the fitness and group fitness areas (paint, lighting, sound system and air conditioning).