The New Zealand Gardens are an important feature of the Christchurch Botanic Gardens and a special place to visit.
The New Zealand Garden was established at its present location in the early 1900s. Over several decades this garden has evolved into a fine collection of New Zealand species including the Cockayne Memorial Garden.
In 1938, the New Zealand Garden was extended to allow space for alpine plants and hebe and Leptospermum beds. This new addition was created as a memorial to Dr Leonard Cockayne (1855 - 1934) in honour of his comprehensive contribution to New Zealand's botany, horticulture, ecology and conservation.