Schools can have a positive impact on their environment and community. They can reduce their rubbish, encourage walking or biking and reduce their water and energy use.
Schools can also take part in the Council's Learning Through Action education programme and host evening classes on sustainability and home composting. Here are some ways schools can take action.
- Recycling: the Council provides free recycling services to schools and early childcare centres.
- Composting: the Council provides free composting workshops for students, teachers and parents.
Plan your travel
- School travel planning The Council works with schools to develop travel plans that promote safer and more sustainable options for school related journeys.
- Start a walking school bus with the help of information from Land Transport New Zealand.
- Become an Enviroschool which provides a whole of school approach to environmental education.