In New Zealand there are a number of rules that regulate the importation, storage, sale and use of fireworks. These rules are in place to prevent harm and to manage the potential risks associated with fireworks.

Can I light fireworks in my local park?

You must seek permission to light fireworks in a Council owned park or land. You can start this process by contacting the Customer Call Centre on (03) 941 8888 or phone free 0800 800 169 for Banks Peninsula residents. For organised fireworks events you will need be an approved fireworks handler and also apply for a Fireworks Test Certificate. This is done through the Environment Risk Management Authority and you can find out more information on the Environmental Protection Authority(external link) website.

For more information, visit link)