Christchurch aims to be the best edible garden city in the world, where all people have access to healthy, affordable and locally grown food to support healthy and active lifestyles.
Being food resilient supports
- Health and well-being
- Close knit and self-reliant communities
- Lifelong learning
- Thriving local food economy
- Resilient and sustainable food system
- Stewardship of public green spaces
- A beautiful and diverse garden city
Seeding our Edible Garden City
Watch a short video showing local action and support for our edible garden city.
To find out more read the Council’s Food Resilience Policy and the Food Resilience Network’s Action Plan [PDF 13KB].
The Council is also a founding signatory of the Edible Canterbury Charter which supports a sustainable local food economy.