The Contextual Historical Overview for Christchurch City, is a report which examines Christchurch under the historical themes of 'Life in the City', 'The Built City', and 'Industry and Commerce'.
The report provides a broad overview and understanding of the city and its development in the last 150 years, which is pivotal for the future identification and management of heritage in Christchurch.
The report was commissioned for two reasons:
- To present a general thematic history of Christchurch settlement and development.
- To help the council review the existing City Plan heritage listings to identify any thematic gaps or potential items that should be added to the heritage inventory.
Thanks to the overview, the Council has already recommended many additions to a heritage item list. These are now being researched before deciding whether they make the final list.
Banks Peninsula contextual historical overview and thematic framework [PDF, 28 MB] - June 2014 [PDF 27.95 MB].
- Complete document [PDF, 20 MB] [PDF 20.4MB]
- Contents [PDF, 231 KB][PDF 210KB]
- Introduction [PDF, 53 KB] [PDF 51KB]
- Theme I: Land and People [PDF, 1.2 MB] [PDF 1.18MB]
- Theme II: Infrastructure [PDF, 5.6 MB] [5.58MB]
- Theme III: The Built City [PDF, 1.6 MB] [1.58MB]
- Theme IV: Industry and Commerce [PDF, 4 MB] [3.97MB]
- Theme V: Governing and Administration [PDF, 453 KB] [454KB]
- Theme VI: Life in the City I [PDF, 4.3 MB] [4.2MB]
- Theme VII: Life in the City II [PDF, 3.7 MB] [3.72MB]
- Annotated Bibliography [PDF, 325 KB] [326KB]
The following maps are referenced in, and should be read in conjunction with, the above report.
- Map 001 [PDF, 993 KB] [989KB]
- Map 002 [PDF, 636 KB] [632KB]
- Map 003 [PDF, 1.2 MB] [1.17MB]
- Map 003a [PDF, 1.4 MB] [1.35MB]
- Map 004 [PDF, 1 MB] [1.47MB]
- Map 005 [PDF, 1 MB] [1.00MB]
- Map 006 [PDF, 1.9 MB] [1.89MB]
- Map 007 [PDF, 2.1 MB] [2.11MB]
- Map 008 [PDF, 2 MB] [2.00MB]
- Map 009 [PDF, 1.2 MB] [1.24MB]
- Map 009a [PDF, 1.6 MB] [1.54MB]
- Map 9b [PDF, 1.6 MB] [1.56MB]
- Map 010 [PDF, 653 KB] [649KB]
- Map 010a [PDF, 978 KB] [974KB]
- Map 011 [PDF, 1.2 MB] [1.19MB]
- Map 012 [PDF, 1.1 MB] [1.13MB]