Historic and current population
- At 30 June 2017, there were an estimated(external link) 8,720 people living in Banks Peninsula ward. This was 2.3 percent of Christchurch City's population.
- Between 2013 and 2017, this ward's population increased by approximately 140 people, or 1.6 percent. Christchurch City's population increased by 7 percent.
- View historic and current population estimate data(external link) for all wards (Excel, 13KB)
- View census population counts(external link) at March 2013. Note census figures differ to the estimated population at June 2013, and are not comparable. Reasons for this are found here(external link).
|Area||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017||% change 2013-2017|
Note: The estimated resident population at 30 June 2013 differs from the 5 March 2013 census count for the following reasons: The estimate takes into account residents missed by the census (net undercount); it INCLUDES residents temporarily overseas on census night; and it takes into account population change (births, deaths and migration) between March and June of the same year.
Projected population: 2013 to 2043
- This ward's population is projected to increase from an estimated 8,580 at 30 June 2013 (base-year) to 9,250 by 30 June 2043. This is an overall increase of 7.8 percent.
- Annual growth since 2013 has been higher than anticipated for this ward, and the estimated 2016 population (8,760) has already exceeded the projected 2018 population (8,740).
- For Christchurch City as a whole, the population is projected to increase by 22 percent over the same period, from 356,700 to 436,800.
- Expand the 'Age' topic heading below to see population projections by age.
- View projected population data [XLSX, 216 KB], including by age, for all wards (Excel, 216KB).
Population projections use population estimates (at 30 June 2013) as a starting point, and are an indication of future demographic change based on assumptions about future demographic behaviour. The medium series is considered by Statistics New Zealand to be the most suitable for assessing future population change.
Further information about population data
Population statistics produced by Statistics New Zealand include census counts, population estimates and population projections.
'Frequently asked questions'(external link) provides information on commonly asked questions about population statistics.