If you have springs or other land drainage issues on your property you may need consent before installing a drainage system that connects to Council stormwater outfalls or waterways.

It has been common for springs and other drainage issues to appear on properties following the earthquakes. This is a matter for the individual property owner to resolve and we recommend that you check with your insurer in the first instance. 

If the land damage has been identified by EQC during their assessment of your land claim you may have received payment for all or part of the repair.  

Generally, wet (ponding) areas will need to have a drainage system installed which discharges to a Council-approved connection to a stormwater outfall or waterway.  Owners should contact an engineer or drainage specialist to investigate the cause of the problem and advise on the best repair solution for the property.  If there are a number of properties affected within a neighbourhood it may be more economical to install a combined system.

Installation of drainage will require a building consent from the Christchurch City Council. Your engineer or contractor should be able to arrange this for you.

The work will also need to comply with Environment Canterbury’s Regional Plans.  Under these Plans, discharging land drainage water into the Council stormwater network or a waterway can be carried out as a permitted activity, as long as the discharge water is not contaminated and doesn’t come from a site where land contamination has occurred. If your land drainage water is likely to be contaminated you will need a resource consent from Environment Canterbury.

For more information on land drainage issues see our Guide to land repair involving land drainage issues [PDF, 388 KB].