We’re making it safer for people walking and gathering along Oxford Terrace and City Mall. We're proposing to create consistent rules along Oxford Terrace and City Mall.
Project status: Closed for feedback
Open for feedback: 18th January 2021 - 18th February 2021
Statement of proposal
Pedestrian mall to a shared zone
We’re making it safer for people walking and gathering along Oxford Terrace and City Mall.
We're proposing to do this by:
- reducing the speed limit in City Mall to 10 km/h
- restricting goods vehicle access times to mornings only between 5am and 10am daily
- allowing people to bike through at a slow speed
- changing the legal status of City Mall from a pedestrian mall to a shared zone. This would extend the shared zone on Oxford Terrace.
We will also be installing retractable bollards at the intersection of Oxford Terrace and Hereford Street. Emergency vehicles and the tram will still be able to access the area at all times.
Proposed extension of shared zone on Oxford Tce to City Mall
Talk to the team
If you would like to discuss this project with the team, please join us.
Date: Thursday 28 January 2021
Time: between 12.30pm and 1.30pm
Location: Bridge of Remembrance
What the proposed changes look like
||Current City Mall (Cashel Street and High Street)
||Current Oxford Terrace (Hereford Street to Lichfield Street)
||Proposed shared zone in City Mall/Oxford Terrace
|General vehicle access
5am to 10am and 4pm to 11pm any day
5am to 10am and 4pm to 11 pm any day
|5am to 10am any day
Bollards to improve safety along Oxford Terrace
Bollards will be installed to limit access to a high use public area on Oxford Terrace. They will be placed on the south side of the Hereford Street intersection, in mid- 2021. Three of the bollards will be retractable to allow authorised vehicles to enter. The number of bollards is yet to be finalised.
The Council endorsed the installation of the bollards in the 2020/2021 Annual Plan. These bollards will reinforce the existing approved entry restrictions to Oxford Terrace by motor vehicles.
We propose to restrict entry to Oxford Terrace (and City Mall) to all motor vehicles at any time with the following exceptions:
- Emergency vehicles
- Council-authorised vehicles (eg maintenance vehicles)
- Goods vehicles to service businesses between 5am and 10am daily. (A goods vehicle is a motor vehicle that is designed exclusively or principally for the carriage of goods, or used for the collection or delivery of goods in the course of trade).
The Police consider the current afternoon entry time from 4pm to 11pm is a safety issue as many people gather on the Terrace at this time.
The proposed changes would reduce the speed limit from 30 km/h to 10 km/h in City Mall and provide consistency with Oxford Terrace. Cyclists will also be able to legally travel along City City Mall.
Location of bollards
18 January 2021 - Consultation opens
18 February 2021 - Consultation closes
March 2021 - Hearings
April/May 2021 - Council decision