Please Wait...
progress bar
Last reviewed: Wed, 28 Nov 2012

Residential connections

Water connection meter box.

Residential 15mm water connection.

Applications for a new residential water connection are usually processed as part of a building consent. A standalone application can be made at any of the Council Service Centres including Civic Offices or alternatively you can download and post us the application for water supply service (WS1). On the application form, you can indicate where you would like to have the water meter installed. The contractor will endeavour to install the connection as close as possible to your preferred location, however in certain circumstances the location may have to be adjusted due to the water supply infrastructure.

Once the application has been approved you will be issued with a Project or Permit Number located on the top right hand side of your Building Application Form. When making any enquiries relating to your water connection please quote your permit number.

Relocation fee of a standard 15mm connection will be at cost, not exceeding the cost of a new standard 15mm domestic connection.

Unless there are unusual circumstances, a water connection will be installed within 10 working days from the receipt of the application. Please note that the application will not be processed until the water connection fee has been fully paid.

Council's connection (or meter) box is usually located in the footpath just outside the front boundary. In some instances, they are installed in 'right of ways' and occasionally within private property. The actual position of your meter will be recorded on the water supply plans.


Authorising Unit: City Water and Waste

Last reviewed: Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Next review: Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Keywords: residential, water connections, water meter