Please Wait...
progress bar
Last reviewed: Tue, 02 Oct 2012

Disposing of hazardous and special waste

Household hazardous waste

Household hazardous waste

Drop-off your household hazardous waste items at a Council transfer station for free. For guides and information about household hazardous waste see the Council'sTarget Sustainability recycling directory.

The following household (non-commercial) waste is accepted, preferably in the original container:

  • liquid chemicals
  • dry chemicals
  • household cleaners
  • car oil and brake fluid
  • car batteries
  • paints and solvents
  • refrigerators / freezers
  • gas cylinders / LPG
  • fire extinguishers
  • petrol

Red Zone Household Hazardous Waste
Red Zone residents who are physically unable to take their household hazardous waste to an EcoDrop/Transfer Station should secure all items in a safe, cool, dry and well-ventilated place. Please ensure that oxidisers (pool chemicals, peroxides) are kept separate from flammable items (aerosol cans, solvents and fuels) as these items may create a fire risk if stored together. Contact the Council to inform them what has been left at the property.

Commercial or industrial hazardous waste

Any commercial quantities of hazardous or special waste residue may need treatment to ensure the waste meets the landfill acceptance criteria and to make disposal safe for the environment. For an application, and in the interest of public health and the environment, please contact Canterbury Waste Services for advice on acceptable disposal methods.

Phone: (03) 359 1800

For guides and information about commercial hazardous waste refer to the Target Sustainability recycling directory. For disposal of liquid waste, see the Council’s trade waste section of this website.

Photographic chemical waste
Chemicals left after processing photos need to pass through a silver recovery trap before entering the sewer.

For safe disposal of photographic chemical waste, please contact the following companies for specialist advise on silver recovery traps:

  • Morris & Watson Ltd, Auckland: phone 0800 500 654
  • Radiographic Supplies, Christchurch: phone (03) 352 0480

    Authorising Unit: City Water and Waste

    Last reviewed: Tuesday, 2 October 2012

    Next review: Tuesday, 2 April 2013

    Keywords: hazardous waste