Please Wait...
progress bar
Last reviewed: Fri, 05 Aug 2011

Noise - frequently asked questions

What can be done about noise in my neighbourhood?

Generally excessive noise is unacceptable at any time.

Neighbourhood Noise [PDF 100KB]

Please contact the Customer Call Centre, phone (03) 941 8666  or 0800 800 169  for Banks Peninsula residents, and we can discuss the options available to you. In some circumstances it may be appropriate for you to approach your neighbour but the Council can help you establish those circumstances.

The Council can offer advice on possible solutions to all noise but can only act on excessive noise created by the following:

  • musical instruments/equipment
  • electrical appliances
  • machinery
  • a person or groups of people
  • explosion or vibration.

What can I do about noise or disturbance from the businesses in my neighbourhood?

There are sound levels set down in the City Plan which define the conditions a business can operate within so that they do not create unreasonable noise.

If you are in doubt, contact the Customer Call Centre.

What can I do about people street racing or cars speeding in my street?

Any problems relating to people driving dangerously or speeding are a police enforcement matter, the Council has no powers of enforcement over moving vehicles. Supply as much information as possible, such as vehicle description and registration number. A form is available on the New Zealand Police website.

My stereo/sound gear was impounded by noise control officers, how do I get it back?

Unfortunately there is no standard answer to this question as each situation is different.

You will need to talk to the duty officer of the Environmental Investigations team.

How late can my neighbour mow his/her lawn?

There are no set times. Lawn mowing noise is generally acceptable during day time hours but mowing should not be carried out prior to 7am.

What time can commercial construction work start/finish?

There is a New Zealand Standard NZS 6803:1999 which specifies noise levels and times certain activities can be undertaken.

Generally work starting between 7am and 7.30am Monday to Saturday and finishing at 6pm is acceptable providing the noise levels in the standard are met for the living zones.

Commerical construction should not be carried out on Sundays. This ruling relates only to a commercial tradesmen as opposed to a home handyman who is doing some work on his own property.


Authorising Unit: Inspections and Enforcement

Last reviewed: Friday, 5 August 2011

Next review: Sunday, 5 August 2012

Keywords: boyracers, noise