Inside and around your property

Minor residential works (internal alterations)

You might need a building consent for minor residential works where your planned alterations are to walls or plumbing within your house or property.

Solar water heaters

Information to give guidance when you need a building consent to install a solar water heater or other solar hot water systems.

Minor plumbing and drainage

Building consents are needed for some minor residential plumbing and drainage works.

Connection to the Council water supply

Information about connecting your house to the Council water supply.

Backflow prevention devices

We explain how to prevent backflow when you connect to the public water supply.

Solid or liquid fuel burner

You must obtain a building consent to install or move all solid and liquid fuel space heaters in your home.

Swimming and spa pools fencing

Safety is central to the legal requirements for new swimming pools, spas and/or associated fencing. We explain how to apply for consent to ensure your pool fence complies.

Floor level requirements

Find the specific floor level heights for your property that will be considered as part of any building consent.

Property fencing

Your rights and responsibilities if you are wanting to build or repair a fence on your property boundary.

Shade sails, fabric canopies and retractable awnings

Some shade sails, fabric canopies and retractable awnings are exempt from building consent. However, these building projects must comply with the Building Code.