The Bandsmen's Memorial rotunda is closed until further notice due to earthquake damage.
Situated within Harman's Grove overlooking the Primula Garden and surrounded by daffodils, this Rotunda was the first memorial to be erected within New Zealand. It commemorates the sacrifices of bandsmen who lost their lives in the First World War.
Designed by S. and A. Luttrell Brothers, one of the leading firms of architects at the time, the Bandsmen's Memorial was officially opened by MP Sir Heaton Rhodes in September 1926. It has been and continues to be a popular venue for a wide range of musical entertainment, from brass bands, pipe bands to string quartets. It is a particularly pleasant area during springtime, with the flowering of hundreds of thousands of daffodils.
The Rotunda has a Grade II Historic Places Trust listing.
Kate Sheppard Memorial walk
This attractive walk adjacent to the Avon River is named in honour of Kate Sheppard, the social reformer who repeatedly co-led petitions to Parliament for New Zealand women to be eligible to vote. They succeeded in 1893.
This walk was opened in 1993, to celebrate 100 years of New Zealand women's suffrage. Various women's groups from throughout Canterbury gifted 100 camellias for this commemoration. Camellias are the principal plants within the collection, the majority of which have white blooms, as these traditionally symbolise excellence in women.
Cockayne Memorial Garden
In 1938 a new collection was established in the New Zealand Garden. It was a memorial dedicated to Dr Leonard Cockayne, a New Zealander of international repute as a systematic botanist, ecologist and horticulturalist. The aim of the Garden as explained at the opening ceremony is "to provide material for the study of variation and evolution in New Zealand plants".
When European settlers arrived at Christchurch in 1850, many erected temporary shelters known as V-huts. These were sited opposite the children's playground across the river in North Hagley Park. For many years the area was referred to as Settlers Corner. A naturally occurring spring from which the settlers drew water emerges at this point on the river. Today it is highlighted with a stone tablet and is known as Pilgrim's Well.
In 1906, the Peacock Fountain was gifted to the city by the Honourable John Peacock. Originally it was sited at the east end of the Archery Lawn. The fountain was dismantled in 1949 due to deterioration and high maintenance costs.
By the 1990s, there was renewed interest to re-establish the fountain in the Gardens. In 1996, the restoration of the fountain to its former glory had commenced and was officially re-opened the following year.
For more information on features of the Gardens refer to the Gardens guide.
Christchurch Botanic Gardens walking guide [PDF 3.93MB]