Please Wait...
progress bar
Last reviewed: Tue, 25 May 2010

Art in the Gardens



There is an extensive collection of art works on display around the Gardens. This collection has been amassed, through acquisitions and donations, throughout the long history of the Gardens.



Te Puna Ora Spring

Te Puna Ora Spring.

Te Puna Ora Spring.

Location
Botanic Gardens west of the Central Rose Garden adjacent to the Water Garden.

Description
Te Puna Ora -The Spring Of Life
A single jet of water comes out of a rock feeding a small pond. This pond is surrounded by several stone carvings by Mr Riki Manuel and Mr Douglas Woods. The plaque is stainless steel.

Regret Fountain

Regret Fountain.

Regret Fountain.

Location
Botanic Gardens on the east end of the Archery Lawn.

Description
This abstract fountain was created local Canterbury sculptor Sam Mahon. There are two moving sections which can be operated by a hand lever at the side of the pool.

Lady Rhodes Bronze Crane

Location
Botanic Gardens Centre.

Description
At two metres tall, this crane is one of a pair currently on display in the Gardens. It was purchased in Japan in 1891 by Lady Jessie Rhodes while she honeymooned with her husband Sir Heaton Rhodes, a prominent lawyer and politican. The cranes were gifted to the Gardens in 1968 by the Rhodes' niece Miss C O'Rorke.

Hunter Sundial

Hunter Sundial.

Hunter Sundial.

Location
Botanic Gardens in the centre of the Herbaceous Border adjacent to pathway.

Description
An Oamaru stone cairn with a slate dial and a brass shadow marker.

There are four brass inscribed plaques around the outside edge of the dial that read:

"The Desert : Shall Rejoice : And Blossom : As The Rose."

Botanic Gardens Brass Gnome

Botanic Gardens Brass Gnome.

Botanic Gardens Brass Gnome.

Location
Botanic Gardens nestled in the corner of a garden plot at the east entrance to the Children’s Playground.

Description
A solid brass gnome set on stone, placed to mark the International Year of the Gnome in 1995. An inscription on a sash around his shoulders reads:

"Guarding naturally over mother earth."

Moorhouse Statue

Moorhouse Statue.

Moorhouse Statue.

Location
Botanic Gardens on the Rolleston Avenue frontage opposite Hereford Street.

Description
A bronze statue on a bluestone plinth of William Sefton Moorhouse, Superintendent of Canterbury, who amongst his many feats was responsible for the construction of Lyttleton rail tunnel. The likeness is of a characteristic pose of Moorhouse when he sat down to talk.

Inscription reads:

"WILLIAM SEFTON MOORHOUSE, To whose energy and perseverance Canterbury owes the tunnel between the port and the plains. Born 1825 - Died 1881. Superintendent 1858 - 62, 1866 - 68."

The sculpture's name is worked into the rear of the plinth as G. A. Lawson Sc. 1885.

Putti

Putti.

Putti.

Location
Botanical Gardens in storage.

Description
A marble statuette of six putti playing music and drinking.

Scott Statues

Scott Statue.

Scott Statue.

Location
Botanic Gardens with one statue on display in the new Visitor Centre.

Description
Three marble statues of the female form standing at approximately 1.4 metres tall circa 1880. All figures variously posed in draped garments, symbolically linked somehow by animals around the base. They were donated to the Gardens in 1924 by Christchurch resident and businessman George Scott.

Jamieson Tazze

Photo of tazze.

Jamieson Tazze

Location
Botanic Gardens at the top of the steps leading down to the Woodland Bridge adjacent to the Cherry Mound and Peace Bell.

Description
A matching pair of Oamaru stone tazze on pedestals donated by James Jamieson. Originally gifted for the newly formed Rosary in August 1916, the tazze were relocated to the current location in 1935.

Stevenson Sundial

Photo of sundial.

Stevenson Sundial

Location
Botanic Gardens Central Rose Garden.

Description
Serving as both an orientation table for some of the world's major cities and a sundial for New Zealand Standard Time. Built with a conical shaped pedestal clad with Halswell bluestone, supporting a dial plate made from polished ebony granite and an ornamental brass gnomon.

Taking Flight

Taking Flight sculpture.

Taking Flight

Location
Hagley Park's Daffodil Woodland riverbank.

Description
A bronze drinking fountain designed by New Zealand sculptor Phil Price to represent a moment in time. The fountain was gifted to the city of Christchurch by the Canterbury Branch of the Institute of Foundrymen in 1993.

Wrestlers

Photo of wrestlers sculpture.

Wrestlers

Location
Hagley Park's Daffodil Woodland riverbank.

Description
Two people performing a wrestling manoeuvre, cast in a mixture of cement and marble chip known as terrazo. This piece was purchased by local sculptor Llew Summers by the Christchurch City Council in 1990.

Peacock Fountain

Peacock Fountain.

Peacock Fountain

Location
Botanic Gardens Armstrong Lawn.

Description
This 7.6 metre three-tier cast iron structure is adorned with dolphins, herons, lily leaves and foliage. It was originally coloured to imitate bronze when installed in 1911. It has since been relocated many times and is now restored in an exuberant scheme of white, turquoise, red, pale green and gold. It is a rare surviving work designed for the famous Coalbrookdale Foundry by eminent Victorian sculpture John Bell.

Pilgrims Well

Pilgrims Well.

Pilgrims Well

Location
Hagley Park on the north bank of the Avon River in the Kate Sheppard Memorial Walk.

Description
A stone memorial marking the site of the first well used by the early settlers. A black granite stone inset into the well has an inscription that reads:

"This memorial encloses the spring which the pioneer settlers used. Erected on the 80th anniversary of their landing. December 16, 1930"

 

Authorising Unit: Transport and Greenspace

Last reviewed: Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Next review: Thursday, 25 November 2010

Keywords: botanic gardens, sculptures