Selwyn Street (between Disraeli Street and Fairfield Avenue).
The Addington Cemetery was established in 1858 when the Presbyterian Church of St Andrew's purchased land for a cemetery in Selwyn Street. Addington was the first 'public' cemetery, 'being open to all persons of any religious community' and allowing the performance of any religious service. As Barbadoes Street Cemetery primarily provided for Anglican services, many people who were not prepared to conform to Anglican services, opted for this cemetery.
Profits made from the purchasing of plots went towards the acquisition of sites for religious and educational purposes and also to relief of the poor and provision of bursaries for the Christchurch High School (today known as Hagley Community College).
The first burial took place in November 1858. The deceased was George McIlraith, brother of Jane Deans who died at age 20. Burials continued in the cemetery up to 1980 with only a few burials and interments of ashes since then.
Ownership of the cemetery was transferred to the Christchurch City Council in 1947 who have maintained the cemetery as one of the city's recognised 'green spaces'. Noteworthy people buried here include activist Kate Sheppard, Christchurch Mayor Tommy Taylor, artist John Gibb, architect Samuel Farr and members of the pioneer family, the Deans.
More information on the Addington Cemetery can be found on the Christchurch City Libraries website.
Barbadoes Street Cemetery
Barbadoes Street (between Bealey Avenue and Kilmore Street).
Barbadoes Street Cemetery is the final resting place of many of Christchurch's early citizens is also the city's oldest cemetery. Opened in 1851, the cemetery is divided by Barbadoes Street, separating the Anglican (Church of England) section on the eastern side, from the Roman Catholic and Dissenters (others) on the west.
The history of the cemetery reflects the history of early Christchurch. The stories of its beginnings and the people buried there paint a rich and varied panorama of the life lived in 19th century and into last century.
Barbadoes Street Cemetery Conservation Plan [PDF 10.8 MB]
Rutherford Street (Woolston) Cemetery
End of Rutherford Street (off Ferry Road towards Garlands Road), Woolston.
Woolston Cemetery is the second oldest, established on what become Rutherford Street in 1852. The cemetery can be regarded as both a separate cemetery and a churchyard, though it was some distance from St John's church itself. Originally maintained by St John's Church, the cemetery was taken over by the Council in 1983.
The cemetery is dominated by larger old style memorials, many of which mark the graves of prominent people from the Woolston area. This cemetery is full and no longer active.
More information on the Woolston Cemetery can be found on the Christchurch City Libraries website.